Transfer of Undergraduate Credit

Transfer of Undergraduate Credit

Effective: September 1, 2011

Last Updated: Approved by EPC March 30, 2011; approved by Campus Assembly April 12, 2011; revision by Teaching & Learning committee; approved by EVCAA 12-15-14; revised by Teaching & Learning committee, approved by EVCAA 4-8-20; revised by Curriculum Subcommittee, approved by EVCAA 3-30-2023

Policy Owner: Academic Affairs

Policy Contacts: Jennifer Mencl (undergraduate education), Tracey Bolen (Registrar)

1. U.S. institutions of higher education must be accredited by an institutional accreditor recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for their courses and related credits to be considered for transfer to UMD. Courses and their credits taken at other institutions will be transferred subject to the following considerations:

  • the comparability of the credit-bearing course work with UMD course work; and
  • the appropriateness of the credit-bearing course work for meeting baccalaureate degree requirements at UMD.

2. UMD does not accept remedial or non-credit-bearing courses for transfer.

3. Courses that are eligible for acceptance in transfer to UMD must be reviewed through the University’s transfer course evaluation process. A course accepted for transfer will be evaluated as:
      a) a direct UMD course equivalent (e.g., HIST 1304),
      b) a non-equivalent elective course with a UMD designator (e.g., HIST 1xxx), or
      c) an undesignated non-equivalent elective course  (e.g., TRAN 1xxx).

4. Non-equivalent elective courses and their credits count toward total credits. UMD academic departments determine whether non-equivalent elective courses and their credits satisfy specific program curricular requirements for majors and minors. The applicability of non-equivalent elective transfer courses and credits toward UMD’s Liberal Education Program is determined by the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

5. UMD will accept transfer courses with a D grade or higher.

6. Prospective and current students may initiate a Transfer Course Evaluation (TCE) request for any course not currently articulated.

7. Students who transfer to UMD with a completed U.S. Associate of Arts (AA) degree, Associate of Science (AS) degree, or Bachelor's degree, or who have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) will have fulfilled UMD's Liberal Education Program requirement.  Courses from the transfer institution used to complete the AA, AS, Bachelor’s degree, or MnTC do not necessarily transfer as equivalent UMD courses.