Credit for Prior Learning Policy
Updated: Approved by Teaching and Learning Committee: 10-07-2015; revised 2-24-2016; approved by EVCAA 8-25-16
Policy owner Academic Affairs
The University of Minnesota Duluth recognizes that significant learning can take place in many forms outside of the traditional classroom; i.e., “nontraditional learning.” Such learning may have resulted from participation in certain government, military, employment or other non-graded activities/courses. Actual credit-based coursework as well as AP, CLEP, IB, DSST and other standardized exams do not fall within this policy.
Requests for consideration must comply with the following:
- If granted, credit for prior learning may or may not include UMD academic credit and/or course requirement waivers.
a. Evaluations for academic credit or waiver of program requirements will be conducted by the academic department(s) affected.
b. Evaluations for general, non-program-specific credit or waiver of UMD requirements will be conducted by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education.
- If academic credit is assigned or program requirements are waived, the following fees apply:
a. For academic credit, the student must pay the UMD-approved credit by examination fee. See http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/fees
b. If program requirements are waived rather than credit assigned, no fee is charged.
- No more than 30 credits will be awarded for nontraditional requests. Actual credit-based coursework as well as AP, CLEP, IB, DSST and other standardized exams do not fall within this policy.
- No more than one-half of any program, including majors and minors as well as the Liberal Education Program may be waived in lieu of a non-traditional award.
- Students must meet all UMD policy requirements, including fulfilling the Liberal Education Program and having a minimum of 120 credits to graduate.
- Credits based upon Prior Learning Assessments by UMD generally do not transfer to other schools outside of the University of Minnesota system without reevaluation by their faculty in accordance with their academic policies. Credits based upon Prior Learning Assessments made by other institutions do not transfer to UMD without reevaluation by our faculty in accordance with UMD academic policies.
- Any request for prior learning assessment must be made within one year of matriculation or completion of the experience(s) in question.