INSTRUCTIONS FOR DEPARTMENT STAFF AND DISTRIBUTORS/COLLECTORS OF STUDENT EVALUATION FORMS
1. Read the "Procedures for Administering Summative Students Evaluations." All UEA faculty, academic departments, and collegiate offices have received copies of the "Procedures."
2. These Evaluation Forms as well as the tabulated results contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. YOU ARE NOT TO READ THIS INFORMATION (THE SCORABLE AND TABULATED RESPONSES) WHILE YOU PERFORM YOUR TASKS.
3. When you collect/batch the Evaluation Forms, make sure that they are ALL facing the same way.
4. Make sure that, at the very least, the top and bottom Evaluation Forms for each class section have the correct call number, quarter, and year recorded on them.
5. If you are the departmental staff person who oversees the collection/distribution of Evaluation Forms, make sure that there is a supply of number 2 pencils for filling them out.
6. Make sure that the set of Evaluation Forms for each course/section has a UMD Student Evaluation Cover Sheet on top of them before they leave the department office for distribution to the students and, afterwards, before they are delivered to Information Services. DEPARTMENTAL STAFF, PLEASE NOTE: Call #s must use the number provided each semester by ITSS to ensure accurate information is printed on the resulting evaluation reports.
7. If you are distributing the Evaluation Forms to a class, please read the following aloud to the students:
- a) The University of Minnesota Duluth is committed to providing a positive and productive learning environment and takes student evaluations very seriously. We ask that you also take them very seriously. Your responses to this questionnaire are important; they are used to review and improve teaching. Student evaluations are also used in tenure, promotion, and salary decisions for your instructor. We especially request your respectful written comments. Constructive feedback related to teaching and learning will help your instructor improve future course offerings. The evaluations are anonymous, and will not be seen by the instructor until final grades for this course have been recorded.
- b) Follow the "Marking Directions": use a number 2 pencil and fill in the ovals completely.
- c) The call number for this course is ___________. (See the "cover sheet.") Please fill out the quarter and year, too.
- d) When you are finished, please hand in the Evaluation Forms and the pencils.
8. STAFF PLEASE NOTE: ITSS prefers to receive all evaluations from each department at one time, rather than those from just a few classes in a department. Make sure the "cover sheets" separate the Evaluation Forms from different classes. Check again so that all the forms are facing the same way and remove all envelopes, paper clips, or rubber bands. (Evaluation Forms, however, will be returned in envelopes.) Evaluations should be delivered to ITSS in alphabetical order with As on top. On the top of this stack, it's helpful to include a department contact person and a list of classes that are contained in the department's batch.